Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

"I believed in myself!"

If this story doesn't show why our school is so great, and in particular why the Adventure Education element of our school is so necessary, I don't know what does. Middleman went on his 1st grade voyage this past week. The night that he returned from the trip he had his first flag football scrimmage. The poor kiddo hadn't yet even gotten to attend a practice because we got him signed up late, but he went anyway just to see what it was all about. When he came home he was over the moon because he almost got a touchdown (apparently his flag was pulled on the 1 yard line!). He said, "Mom, I almost scored a touchdown because I believed in myself!"  I told him that was such an important thing to do, and asked him where he had learned about that (figuring I knew the answer ;). To which he said, "At camp yesterday, I had to climb over this thing that was hard to get over, and the first time I tried it I couldn't do it because I didn't believe in myself. But then I tried again and I DID believe in myself, and I DID IT!"  His smile was absolutely endless.

Seriously -- that lesson in and of itself is worth it's weight in gold. I'm so happy for my boys that they are blessed enough to go to a school that not only teaches them how to read and write, but also helps them learn how to believe in themselves. Big puffy hearts abound!  I'm one very happy mama!

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww.....I think there is a lesson in there for ALL of us to learn!!! Atta boy "Middle Man!!" You're learning something that some people never learn! That confidence will take you wherever you choose, and to do whatever you dream! You go "Middle Man!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...so nice to hear! What a great lesson, and so cool that he was able to put it into practice so quickly! Way to go, Middleman!

    ReplyDelete